Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Things my grandma taught me...

My grandmother isn't doing very well lately. My mom and my uncle moved from assisted living into the nursing home last week. I sounds like she may not be with us much longer. She sleeps all the time, and only eats a few bites at each meal. Scott asked me if I wanted to go see her, but I've decided not to. It's a 6-hour drive, and it sounds like she wouldn't really know that we are there. Besides, I think I'd rather remember her the way she was. Maybe it's selfish of me, but I don't want my last memory to be of her lying in a bed at the nursing home.

Needless to say, I've been thinking about my grandma a lot lately. I've started putting together a list in my head of things my grandma taught me when I was growing up.

My grandma taught me ...
  • How to pluck a chicken, gut it, and cut it up to fry
  • That it is okay to reach at the table as long as you keep one foot on the floor (farm hand manners 101)
  • How to make three meals out of one (never waste the left-overs)

1 comment:

Kate said...

You'll find as time passes that there are oh so many more things that she taught you. And you'll realize it when you're teaching Jack those very same things.

And no, you're not selfish to not want to see her. I agree that seeing someone in a manner in which you don't want to remember them is an okay thing.