Saturday, August 30, 2008

Half-way Shopping

I spent the day doing what I call half-shopping. I spent half my time shopping, and half my time keeping track of my husband and 2-year-old son. It's not very productive to say the least. We drove over an hour into the suburbs to shop at IKEA. If you've never been to IKEA, it's three levels of everything you could possibly need for your home. Style is modern, prices are cheap. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty close to heaven.

I don't get to go there very often, so I'm not happy unless I get to walk through every inch of the store and fill my cart with cool new things. To my husband this is torture. He likes IKEA, but he wants to speed shop. Have the list of things you need ready, run through the store and throw it in the cart, get in the shortest check-out line possible, and be back on he road home in less than an hour. Jack complicates things by wanting to run around and jump on all the beds and play with all the toys in the kid section. Makes it hard for me to shop and makes my husband want to leave even sooner.

Well to make a long story short, I did end up buying most of what I went after, but would have like to spend more time looking. We stopped at the outlet mall on the way home. More half-shopping at Children's Place. Lots of bargains, but I was just pulling shirts and shorts off the rack (next year's sizes) and shoving them into the shopping bag. I spent around $25 can came home with a full bag, but I'll have to dig them out later to see what I bought.

Followed up Children's Place with about 10 minutes at Lane Bryant to buy a couple shirts for myself (it's end of summer, and I feel like I wear the same clothes over and over again). I hate having to shop at Lane Bryant, but ever since I've had Jack I haven't been able to lose any weight. I'm tipping the scales at around 215 these days. I wasn't exactly light before the pregnancy, but I was well under 200 lbs. I didn't even gain a lot weight during the pregnancy. I kept the weight gain around 30 lbs even with gestational diabetes. It was after I stopped breast feeding that the big gain started. It was like I blinked and all the weight I lost having Jack was back and then some. Arghh!

Oh, and I almost forgot, we stopped at Trader Joe's to buy a few things we can't get at the grocery stores here in town. I love that store -- wish we had one closer!

My day of shopping ended around 3:30 pm. It wasn't exactly leisurely, but I guess it will have to tide me over for a while. I'll be lucky if Scott lets me step foot in another store this weekend!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Oh shopping.... Dang shopping. I don't have kids and I dread shopping. And I too, hate that the clothes in Lane Bryant fit me. Blech. But guess what? You're a mom and you earned your body. At least that's what my friend Joan says. She shamelessly wears a bikini with a pouchy tummy and a big butt. And I love her for it.

Cathy said...

One my greatest disappointments in living with boys is being around great shopping and being rushed through it. I was at Omaha's Old Market over the weekend and got to see the restaurant where we ate, nothing else.